Wet, mushy, and discolored stools are not normal. Wait 24 hours after you first see the unusual stool and if it is continuing, then contact your vet.
What to consider before getting a pet hedgehog:
- Will I be able to provide it high quality food?
- Do I have enough room for a cage? (3 square ft. should be the minimum size for a hedgehog)
- Will I be able to spend time with it everyday and take it out of the cage?
- Will I have a vet that I am ready to call in case of an emergency?
- Will the hedgehog be harm-free in its living conditions?
- Are hedgehogs legal in my state or are there restrictions to having this exotic pet? If your state has restrictions please look into it before purchasing a hedgehog! (Arizona– restrictions, California– illegal, Georgia– illegal,Hawaii– illegal,Pennsylvania– illegal)
- Can I provide all of the supplies a hedgehog needs?
- Will I be able to keep the hedgehog warm at all times? (temperature should be between 73-80 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Will I be able to properly clean the hedgehog and the cage when necessary?
- Should I buy my hedgehog from a breeder or pet shop?
If you have any questions please comment in the section below!